Note: IReL is currently negotiating renewal of this agreement from January 2024. For more information see our update on 2024 TA renewals
Introduction: this agreement gives current staff and students at participating institutions:
- Access to current content from the Sage Premier 2021 journal collection.
- The ability to make articles accepted for publication in eligible Sage journals open access, without the author paying an article processing charge (APC). Further details below.
Agreement period: 1 Jan 2021 – 31 Dec 2023
- Dublin City University
- Maynooth University
- Technological University Dublin
- Trinity College Dublin
- University College Cork
- University College Dublin
- University of Galway
- University of Limerick
- Atlantic Technological University (from Jan 2023)
- Dundalk Institute of Technology (from Jan 2023)
- Institute of Art, Design + Technology (from Jan 2023)
- Mary Immaculate College (from Jan 2023)
- Munster Technological University (from Jan 2023)
- South East Technological University (from Jan 2023)
- Technological University of the Shannon: Midlands Midwest (from Jan 2023)
- details on Sage’s website
- Sage’s guide to the agreement. This includes:
- IReL Sage OA publishing agreement introduction (video)
- IReL Author OA Publishing workflow (Powerpoint)
- Author workflow for OA agreements (video)
OA quota per year:
- unlimited OA publishing in Sage Choice hybrid journals (subscription journals where some of the articles are open access) at no extra cost. See the Hybrid @ (£0) list here.
- unlimited OA publishing with a 20% article processing charge (APC) discount in most Sage Gold journals (fully open access journals). See the Gold OA (20% discount) list here.
Journals eligible for OA publishing:
- see the list of all eligible journals in all IReL open access agreements: http://bit.ly/irelOAjournals.
- The corresponding author must be a current staff member or student of a participating institution at the time the article enters production (this is usually shortly after the article being accepted for publication). The corresponding author must ensure their correct affiliation details are known to the publisher at this time.
- Requests to publish OA under the agreement are subject to approval by participating members.
Eligible article types:
- “[including] but not limited to: Original Research Papers, Review Papers, Brief Communications, Short Reports, Case Reports”
- “Articles published as part of commercially sponsored supplements, errata, book reviews, editorials, published abstracts, call for papers, news items or similar are excluded from this service.”
OA publishing license: CC-BY or CC-BY-NC