Vidatum/ORCID Integration Details
- Vidatum are ORCID Certified Service Providers and Vidatum Research v4 is an ORCID-enabled system
- Using the enhanced Vidatum ORCID member API integration, researchers can authenticate their ORCID iD within the Vidatum system and give permission for Vidatum to automatically import ORCID data to their Vidatum record and export data from Vidatum to their ORCID record.
- To begin integrating ORCID using your member API with Vidatum, contact Vidatum directly.
The Vidatum Authentication Process
On the researchers’ Preferences page, there is a prompt to “Create or Connect your ORCID” which will use the OAuth process to connect the researcher’s ORCID iD to the Vidatum system and authenticate the ORCID iD.
Importing Data from ORCID to Vidatum
- Once the authentication process is completed, researchers can import the following data:
- Professional Details
- Memberships (Professional Associations)
- Patents & Licensing Agreements
- Other Professional Details (type: service)
- Research Projects
- If a matching record exists for biographical or professional details in Vidatum, the ORCID data will be used to update the existing information. If a matching record exists for publication data in Vidatum, only the author metadata will be enhanced.
Uploading Works to ORCID
- To enable the researcher to assert affiliation to their ORCID record, the administrator will need to configure the following details:
- Organisation Short Name
- Organisation Long Name
- Organisation Country
- City of Main Campus
- Organisation GRID Identifier
- Under User Preferences – ORCID, researchers can specify and configure the data to be sent from Vidatum to ORCID:
- Publications to Send: “online” for publications the researcher has claimed from online sources; or “all” for all publications within a researchers’ profile, including those manually added.
- Affiliation Type: the researcher chooses between “Employee” or “Student”
- ORCID Permissions: the researcher chooses between “read only” or “read/write”.
- Choose ORCID Profile Entities to Maintain: each entity can be synchronised by the system independently; the researcher chooses from Patents, Education, Employment, Honors and Awards, Associations, Other Activities etc.
Vidatum is using the ORCID webhooks feature to ensure that updates to researchers’ ORCID records result in automatic updates to researchers’ Vidatum records.
Display ORCID iD
- Vidatum Research displays ORCID iDs, according to ORCID display requirements, on user profiles when logged in.
Vidatum/ORCID Credentials Process
Members using Vidatum do not need to demonstrate their integration on the ORCID Sandbox. When applying for credentials, mention that you are using Vidatum Research in the notes field. Please ensure that you are using version 4 (or higher), which supports ORCID member API integration.
Without the enhanced ORCID module, Vidatum Research integrates with the public ORCID API, supporting:
- the OAuth process during which the researcher provides (or denies) permission to access their ORCID record. In the current Vidatum system, the permission is provided to Vidatum and not individual member organisations. This prevents members from receiving individualised statistics in their monthly reports from ORCID.
- the importing of public data from ORCID to the researcher’s Vidatum profile. Please note that ORCID enables members to request permission to read ‘trusted party’ data on a researcher’s record, but Vidatum does not facilitate the importing of this data without the use of the enhanced module.