Introduction: this agreement gives current staff and students at participating institutions:
- Access to the complete contents of the BMJ’s Standard Collection journals
- The ability to make their articles accepted for publication in BMJ’s Standard Collection journals, without the author paying an article processing charge (APC)
Further details below.
Agreement period: 1 Jan 2021 – 31 Dec 2023
- Dublin City University
- Maynooth University
- Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland
- Technological University Dublin
- Trinity College Dublin
- University College Cork
- University College Dublin
- University of Galway
- University of Limerick
Open access agreements for Ireland – information for authors
OA quota per year
- 2021 – 24 articles
- 2022 – 24 articles
- 2023 – 25 articles
Journals eligible for OA
- 28 journals in the BMJ Standard collection. 11 journals must use the CC-BY-NC licence for OA
publication unless CC-BY is specifically mandated by funders.
- see list of all the eligible journals in all IReL TAs: http://bit.ly/irelOAjournals.
- The corresponding author must be a current staff member or student of a participating institution at the time the article is accepted for publication. The corresponding author must ensure their correct affiliation details are known to the publisher at this time.
- Requests to publish OA under the agreement are subject to approval by participating members.
- For articles accepted from 04 May 2021: eligible corresponding authors will be invited to make their articles open access on acceptance.
OA publishing license:
Eligible articles will be published under a CC BY 4.0 or CC BY-NC 4.0. Some journals require a CC-BY-NC license (unless a CC-BY license is mandated by funders). Journals requiring a CC-BY-BY license can be found here.
Where research on which an Open Access Article is based is funded by a funder that mandates the use of CC-BY licence, or BMJ has expressly agreed that the CC-BY licence shall apply, the that Eligible Author’s published manuscript may be re-used under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence (CC BY 4.0) or any subsequent versions of this licence as determined by BMJ.
- BMJ Author Guide
- How to publish your artcile OA – video
- FAQs – BMJ Publish and Read agreements
- BMJ IReL Publish & Read License 2021
- Agreement details on ESAC registry of transformative agreements – bmj2021ie